How to become a wildlife Rehabber

Wildlife Rescue in Ontario is under the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR). The public call us Wildlife Rescue the MNR calls us Authorized Wildlife Custodians or wildlife rehabbers. Most wildlife rehabbers are volunteers. It requires a lot of commitment and time. There is no financial support from the MNR or any level of government. Food and Veterinarian will be your two biggest expenses. Getting donations from the public takes time and is never reliable. Especially at the beginning it is all out of your own pocket.

You will have to take the MNR exam for wildlife rehabbers. If you will also have to take the RVS test. You can take the home study course. It covers all species and the RVS covers rabies species. To down load see top righthand side of this page under Authorization Qualifications. Another thing you should consider is becoming a foster parent for one of the current rehabbers near you. It is a chance to get involves in wildlife and learn under some one already rehabbing.

The other thing one should do is get to know as many wildlife rehabbers as possible. If you go to our website and click on wildlife centres a map will come up of all the wildlife rehabbers in Ontario with all their contact information and what animals they take in. Also contact Laurel Beechey at Skunk Haven (519) 842-9416 to be put on the Wild email list of wildlife rescue people in the province. If you do get your authorization please also contact us so we can put you on our website so the public with injured and orphan wild animals can find you.

You will find wildlife rehabbers are very good about sharing information and resources. As Audrey Tourney (one of the pioneers of wildlife rescue in Ontario) said " we are in this for the wild animals. If you put in an application to become a Authorized Wildlife Custodian please let us know. If you have any questions please give us a call at 416 436-9892.

© ontario wildlife rescue 2024     Privacy Policy